Expect heavy snow and strong winds on Tuesday. Roads may become impassible. Be prepared to shelter in place on Tuesday.
Monitor local weather information sources.
Be prepared for possible power outages.
Please *DO NOT* use candles for lighting!
Check batteries in flashlights and radios now.
Charge cell phone auxiliary banks now.
Have a 48 hour supply of water and non-perishable food on hand.
Have cash on hand. (ATM’s may be out.)
This is the latest information from National Weather Service Taunton:
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Taunton MA
336 PM EDT Sun Mar 12 2017
The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a Winter Storm
Warning for Heavy snow, which is in effect from 5 AM to 1 PM EDT
* LOCATIONS…Eastern Massachusetts as well as central and
southern Rhode Island.
* HAZARD TYPES…Heavy snow and the potential for blizzard
* ACCUMULATIONS…Snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches with a low
risk for isolated amounts up to 2 feet across northeast MA.
* TIMING…Snow overspreads most of the region between 4 and 8 am
Tuesday morning. The snow will quickly become heavy with 2 to 4
inch per hour snowfall rates possible at times through Tuesday
afternoon. The heavy snow will taper off to snow showers
* IMPACTS…Heavy snow, poor visibility and strong winds will make
for extremely hazardous travel. Strong winds will bring the
potential for blizzard conditions and near white-out conditions
at times. Considerable blowing and drifting snow is also
expected and many roads may become impassable. The strong winds
will also bring the risk for scattered tree damage and power
outages…especially near the coast.
* WINDS…North 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 55 mph.
* VISIBILITIES…One quarter mile or less at times.